The Institute for Digital Arts and Humanities (IDAH) is looking for 4 IUB students to sponsor as HASTAC scholars for the 2017-2018 academic year. Ideal candidates will be graduate or advanced undergraduate students who are engaging with digital tools and methods in their research, teaching, or creative work. HASTAC scholars will have the opportunity to develop a digital project of their own design, network with other digital artists and humanities scholars on campus, participate in workshops and IDAH events, and share their work at IU and with the online HASTAC community. As part of the program, HASTAC scholars will receive a $300 honorarium each as well as mentorship and technical support from IDAH faculty, staff, and affiliates.
HASTAC Scholars Call
- Required local IUB HASTAC scholar activities
Locally, IU HASTAC scholars are required to do the following:
- Attend monthly IUB HASTAC scholars’ meetings
- Meet with an IDAH-affiliated faculty advisor once a semester
- Attend periodic IDAH events (seminars, workshops)
- Give a lightning talk on their project at the IDAH spring symposium
- Required national HASTAC scholar activities
As an outgrowth of their digital project, HASTAC scholars are expected to engage with the broader scholarly community. A HASTAC scholar typically:
- Blog on the HASTAC site, introducing themselves and their projects
- Report on at least ONE local relevant event - any conference, talk, art project, symposium, experiment or collaboration - during the year
- Introduce at least one other technology project to the greater HASTAC community (e.g. a new technology, a new coding language, a new use of technology in the non-profit sector, a new game for learning, an interesting new book, etc.)
- Contribute to HASTAC Scholar Discussion Forums, either by hosting or commenting.
- Build community and conversation by commenting, tweeting, covering conferences, and helping organize local meet-ups.
- Share relevant job info, fellowship opportunities, conference CFPs, and publishing opportunities.
- Nominate a student
Nominations to the HASTAC Scholars program require:
- The student's name, email address, department affiliation, and year of study
- A 200 word description of their digital project
The internal deadline is September 18th, 2017.
This year, all HASTAC Scholars will be paired with a faculty mentor in their field who will meet once a semester with this student. You do not need to serve as a mentor in order to nominate someone for the HASTAC program, but if you are willing to serve as a mentor, please indicate this in your email. IDAH will contact successful applicants and their mentors by September 31st. Applicants do not need to register with HASTAC as part of the internal application process.